Monday 1 March 2010

Fish Tank

When I talk or write about films I usually warn the audience about my little knowledge about cinema, and my not much common tastes (not only for films...)
This is one of the reasons why I rarely pay much attention to the winners list in Film Festivals. Almost by chance, I found out that some British critics seem to have wanted to make me feel like an educated film buff, by awarding 4 prices (among them, Best British Film and British director of the year) to a film that I strongly recommended a few months ago.

As I said in that post, Andrea Arnold has almost become a cult director with just 2 films. I think next time we think of tough stories in run-down neighborhoods, Andrea's name should come to our mind as one of the persons that better can create and tell those stories, to paint and depict an urban landscape that seems odd for those of us that only know the shiny CCTVed central streets of a few British cities.

My only complain with critics this time is, why didn't you give any award to Red Road in 2006???


No comments:

Post a Comment