Friday 29 April 2011

Extend NTFS Volume

I've had and odd issue with a NTFS partition that I think it's worth to share, if not for others at least for a future me confronted to a similiar issue in the future.

I've been lately ejecting some Hard Disks from an old PC and putting them in external HD cases to have easy access to the tons of dubiously useful old stuff stored there.
One of them had some small System partitions (Windows, Linux) and some large (well, not by today's standards) Data partitions. As the System partitions are no longer needed I thought I would merge them with the Data ones. So, launch GParted from Ubuntu to start off the process.
So far GParted had been a well behaved piece of software that had helped me on many ocasions, but this time something went wrong and crashed in the middle of the process. To my horror, the 127 GBs NTFS partition that I was trying to merge with the 10 GBs System partition was unusable (and the 10 GBs one was gone).

I launched Windows 7, ran a chkdsk, and after some minutes my NTFS data partition was alive and well, but with the original 127GBs size (based on the Explorer readings), and the 10GBs one was missing.

Opening the Computer Management -> Disk Management MMC I was presented with this:



So now my partition was showed on the section below as taking up 136 GBs, but above it was showed as occupying the 127 GBs that Explorer was displaying. So, what the fuck???

After some googling I found out somewhere (sorry, I can't locate the link now), that probably this was a mismatch between the Partition and the NTFS Volume. The partition, as showed on the lower section, is 136 GBs, but the NTFS Volume (that is what Explorer and the upper section show), is 127 GBs.

Hopefully, this can be fixed fast and easy with a Windows utility (it's part of the OS normal installation) that I was unaware of, Diskpart, as explained here.

In my case, contrary to what is stated in the article, chkdsk was not showing the the same info as Explorer, but 133 GBs, but Diskpart was showing the expected 136 GBs.





So, just type:

DISKPART> select volume 5 (in my case)

DISKPART> extend filesystem


and as you can see in the below screenshot, we're done and well!

1 comment:

  1. This fixed a major problem I was having with a client's mismatch partition and volume size. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete