Thursday 28 July 2011

Latvian Non citizens

A history-geography-politics freak like me needs to digest tons of information about any place he plans to visit in order to feel OK when he sets foot there (I understand travelling as a form of personal enrichment that goes far beyond the experiences lived in the few days that I can afford in whatever place I go), so as I'm planning a trip to Latvia and Lithuania I've started my search for all sorts of information, and I've come across this pretty interesting documentary about Latvia.

Well, I've said that it's pretty interesting, but first and foremost I need to warn you that it is terribly biased towards Russian interests. The hosting website rt.com (pretty interesting by the way) was formerly known as Russia Today, so it's easy to expect some proRussian stance...

Not that I want to show off, but I should say that few things in the video were new to me (apart from my general interest in European affairs, I paid a visit to Estonia in 2008, and learning about any of the "Baltic states" necessarily means learning about the other 2...), so I already knew about the Non citizens, the tensions between ethnic Latvians and ethnic Russians (and their huge percentage there, even larger than in Estonia), the economic difficulties that the country is going through, the Latvian SS thing, the Latvian NeoNazi scum... but what it seemed to me is that everything appeared like a bit distorted.
Well, what I had not a clue about was that the Latvian government had returned the previously "collectivized" properties to their old owners (even people living abroad).

The documentary does not explain how the 28% of Russians living there (not 50% as the documentary constantly claims) ended up in Latvia, probably they are skipping that in order to avoid inconvenient references to the occupation of the Baltic States. They do not explain either that the percentage of Russian population was also increased by the deportation of a 10% of the native population, as part of the population transfers conducted by the Soviet government.
They pay much attention to the disgusting Latvian NeoNazis, I guess they do this intending to demonstrate how ultraNationalistic and xenophobic the whole Latvian society is... but in doing so, they should also mention the huge number of NeoNazi shitheads in Russia itself, but well, following that logic that should lead us to think that the Russian society as a whole is the most nationalistic and fanatic in the world...

I don't want to sound antiRussian, I can understand part of the feelings of both communities,
from the Latvian SS member (that in most cases was not a blood thirsty fanatic, but a guy that had to choose between the Soviets, which brutality alredy knew pretty well after the initial occupation, and the Nazis, that in principle could seem more "Baltic friendly", after all, Nazis did not regard Baltic people as an "inferior race", and Germans had dominated the Baltic economy for centuries with no need of blood baths or brutal oppression of the natives
to the Soviet veteran that after being forced into the army was about to die in the Great Antifascist War, and that finally got relocated to an unknown land as a "prize" (better, as the following step in the construction of the perfect (and impossible) society)...
Sure it's hard to swallow that after having lived in a country for many years you are suddenly a second class citizen there, but it's also hard to swallow that you're not willing to do the effort to learn about the history and culture of the place that after all those years you should love.
Furthermore, at first sight it doesn't seem so complex to get naturalised.

So well, all in all, good stuff to further investigate and think about, and sure a great topic to discuss before a coffee with some ethnic Latvian and some Latvian Non-citizen (and preferably young single females :-D
but so far I'll have to resign myself with the comments below the video, that provide pretty different takes on this topic and are well worth a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment