Monday 12 December 2011

Atomised/The Elementary Particles

Another excellent German film. At first sight this hilarious work could seem quite apart from my common tastes (horror, dystopias, social unrest...) but I've had a really enjoyable time with it, well, in fact it ends up being a very human film, maybe it's because I'm right in the age group to get some sort of identification (hey, don't take me wrong, I'm not such a loser as Bruno)

This is the story of two brothers with very different lives: Michael is a scientific genius, Bruno is a frustrated everything (teacher, writer, father, play boy...) but a common problem, their (lack of) sexuality, and quite different approaches to tackle it (remove the need for sex by developing cloning techniques vs harass teenager students and join a free love camp...) Bruno (the frustrated writer, by the way he portrayed Baader in The Baader Meinhof Complex) has the main role in this film, as the funniest moments (and also the harshest ones) gravitate around his pathetic adventures (his racist prejudices, his bonobo like attitude, his dramatic attempts to gain other's simpathy...). Maybe his character was so fun to me cause in some of his actions I could try to put faces that I know in real life :-)

Be warned that there's more to this film that all this fun, while the 2 first thirds of the film will mainly make you laugh like hell, the last part will make you reflect about the tough situation presented there and about life in general, mainly if you're at that age when you still see yourself too young for some "für immer" decisions, but too old to continue wandering aimlessly

A must see film that I would leave in store to ease a bad day

No comments:

Post a Comment