Sunday 8 July 2012

Underworld settings in Budapest

I'm a big fan of the whole Underworld saga in general, and of its first installment in particular. As I've already posted in several occasions, I pretty much like Vampire films, especially when they are depicted as elegant, aristocratic, modern types whose money allows them to play with high tech stuff (this is also present in films like Blade and Rise). If you add Kate Beckinsale dressed in a gothic latex outfit to the mix, you're turning my fantasies into reality...

I love almost every second of the first Underworld film, but the opening scene, with Selene under the rain, sat on that balcony overlooking that dark, timeless city, is one of my favorites. When I first was in Budapest, in 2009, I had already read that the film was filmed there, and watched the film once again to open my apetite for the city. It's something I usually do before travelling to a city, watching films set there, along of course with reading as much as I can about the history and the social situation of the place. However, once there I didn't try to identify locations of the film, and back at home, thought the city had a huge impact on me (the night views from the castle, the impressive early 20 century buildings with those dark facades in different grades of disrepair, my astonishment when contemplating the width the Danube reachs there...) I didn't think about the connection between the city and the film anymore.

When preparing my last trip the the Hungarian capital this June, I decided to watch Underworld again, and once more the opening scene deeply delighted me. I couldn't identify those impressive buildings, but I thought it would be Andrássy Ut (mainly cause it has the highest concentration of late XIX's early XX's buildings I knew of, and cause there are several metro stations along the avenue). I did some fast googling trying to find more, but I got mainly nothing.

Once in Budapest last month, I had to discard Andrássy Ut as the setting for that opening scene, as there's not a small square like the one in the film, and no building seemed to match with the ones from which Selene watches the city. Finding this setting was not too high in my priority list, so just forgot about it while enjoying my roaming around the wide avenues lined by magnificent, worn out buildings (it's the perfect counterpart to Vienna or Prague). To my surprise, I suddenly stumbled upon the place:

check it out on google maps

On the Pest side of the Erzsébet bridge 2 imposing buildings rise majestically, one to each side of Szabad satjó, and if you stroll a few meters, you find the small square with a small church and a fountain with a mask (though there's no water flowing there now). Right there you have the Metro station where Michael enters (but not where the shooting takes place). That subway entrance appears on the film, but the interior of the station does not match, the one in the film is larger and the walls are different.

Back in Asturies I did some more research, finding this interesting page stating this:

The opening battle between the Lycans and Vampires takes place on the Budapest Metro and although it is difficult to work out which station this is set at, it does look a lot like Arpad Hid station on the M3 line. Interestingly the New York subway entrances are actually based on those in Budapest.

You can confirm that I'm not cheating you by comparing my pics with the screenshots from the film:

Buildings

Square

By the way, last week I watched another quite good film set in Budapest, 8mm II. This erotically charged thriller also revolves around night creatures, but human ones instead of Vampires and Lycans. The main character lives in a flat just across St. Stephen's Basilica, and one of the characters is the Hungarian beauty that appears for a few minutes in Underworld I and II in the role of Amelia

1 comment:

  1. And 12 years later, I've discovered this page. Do you know much about the apartment that was used?

    The apartment battle in the first movie is one of the main inspirations behind why my Cherinob story features a similar apartment battle, but with angels and demons instead of vampires and werewolves. With swords and radiation beams and some 4D and Doctor Strange-type mayhem rather than characters just randomly shooting each other.

    Even so, the apartment battle is very much inspired by Underworld's, even though the scene plays out a little differently.

    ReplyDelete