Saturday 14 June 2014

The City of Light

Paris is commonly referred to as "La Ville-Lumière" ("The City of Light"), as wikipedia explains:

The name may come from its reputation as a centre of education and ideas during the Age of Enlightenment. The name took on a more literal sense when Paris became one of the first European cities to adopt gas street lighting: the Passage des Panoramas was Paris's first gas-lit throughfare from 1817.[11] Beginning in the 1860s, Napoleon III had the boulevards and streets of Paris illuminated by fifty-six thousand gas lamps, and the Arc de Triomphe, the Hôtel de Ville and Champs-Élysées were decorated with garlands of lights.

In my last visit to this gorgeous city, I was surprised by a dry storm that lasted for almost 3 hours (it finally started to rain when I was happily about to go to sleep). The storm displayed an astonishing amount of lightning and after quite a few failing attempts to capture some of this with my camera, I was lucky to get this picture:

NotreDame under a furious heaven. Sure it won't gain me a prize, but I pretty much like it :-). And well, I'll also share this one:

No comments:

Post a Comment