Tuesday 30 December 2014

As Above, So Below

In my first trip to Paris, back in January 2009, I spent a few hours visiting the Catacombs. It was OK, but probably was the only thing in that trip that didn't meet my expectations (while for all the rest, I'd never imagined that Paris would be such a fascinating place for me). I'm not saying the Catacombs are not worth a visit, but I would put it way after many, many other things in a Parisian "to see" list.

However, they have worked as the backdrop for 2 pretty good horror films, Catacombs, and As above, so below. It's the latter why I'm writing this post (I watched the former some years ago and have not much to say at this time).

"As above, so below" is one of the best horror/thriller films I've watched in a long while. This is one of those found-footage, hand-held (well, head-held for good part of the film) kind of films, which at first put me a bit off (I loved The Blair Witch Project, but usually I prefer a more classic filming approach), but in the end seemed quite appropriate for this work.

I've called it a Horror film, but indeed it spans over some other genres, like (archaeological) adventures and thriller. The plot is quite original and straight forward (don't expect some complex twist or different possible interpretations) and the pace is quite frantic, making a really effective production. At first I was expecting that the causes of the horror would be "natural" ones (getting lost in that maze, maybe some crazy folks...) but after a while it will move into the terrain of the supernatural, which at first disappointed me a bit, but turned out pretty well. I find this film pretty fresh, having nothing to do with the "haunted house", "possessed person" or "evil child" kind of horror that so repetitive and ineffective has turned in the last years.

To sum up, if you want something fresh and powerful that will keep you glued to the screen from the first to the last minute, just go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment