Sunday 8 February 2015

Guts Pie Earshot

Guts Pie Earshot has been around for more than 20 years now, and I'm pretty sure that some of my friends have been listening to them since their beginnings, but at that time I was only into fast, screaming and aggressive music, and I never paid them any attention. Last May I was lucky to see them live with one of their other projects, Outsourced Underground, where the excellent German rapper Lena Stoehrfaktor(along with Tapete) sing over their melodies. It's a beautiful and necessary project of Political Rap/Something (they define it as RapCore), and their demo is one of the sounds that has been more present in my players for the last months. However, 2014 was a really busy year for me (so much work combined with trying to leverage the many possibilities that living in a city like Toulouse gives you on a personal level), so never found the time to dig into Guts Pie Earshot.

This week I've finally done it and well, their sound is fascinating, mesmerizing and unique. Their music has evolved from album to album and changes from song to song, but some of them are so melancholic, powerful and beautiful that is difficult to find words to make them justice. Basically we could say that right now these are 2 punks playing celo and drums, but there's so much more to such poor description... Different distortions are applied to the cello, drums move from conventional to electronic ones, and in the past they had additional members playing bass, keyboards/samples and singing (with such a beautiful voice). Don't worry, the lack of those members has not done the ensuing releases less powerful or authentic, they keep the same masterful signature that blends sadness and joy, light and darkness, beauty and beauty.

When the band turned 20 they decided to make available all their releases for download. You can also find 2 of them in bandcamp (which I pretty like it, I feel like paying for their work, more than a payment is like a "many thanks and now let me pay you a coffee or a beer for these moments").

Apart from Outsourced Underground, they've got some some other interesting projects like Dubvasion or Scheng, and no doubt this song by Scheng honoring one deceased Kurdish YPG Freedom Fighter really shocked me.

I'll end up this post with a list of some of my favorite songs:

and I'll copy here the emotive text that they wrote on the occasion of their 20 years:


since 2013 we exist now for 20 years…

What does it mean to us?


1000 concerts...
10 releases….

it is a long long time with many
ups and downs,
we made so many experiences,
we met so many people
we saw so many countries

we met so many
idealistic people becoming boring,
boring people becoming idealistic

we saw so many cool projects built,
we saw so many projects destroyed.

we are really really grateful
to all of you
who keep us alive …

No comments:

Post a Comment