Monday 18 March 2019

Lune de Miel

A few days ago I watched what I think is the second Romanian film I've ever set my eyes on. The first one was like 10 years ago in the Xixon Film Festival. I don't remember the title or basically what it was about, my only memory is that it was boring and awful, nothing to do with my second approac to Romanian cinema last weekend.

Lune de Miel (Honeymoon) is an intense film telling the story of a Romanian nurse that has immigrated to the USA an got married to one man she met in the clinic. Now she's trying to obtain a green card so that she can remain and work in the country (from a European perspective the situation is rather odd, that after marrying a national of the country she has no right to work there...). Obtaining the so longed card is not an easy taks. The couple has to undergo an evaluation to prove that it's not a convenience marriage, and the man in charge becomes very hard with her. The classic stereotype of USA idiot that thinks that his country is the most perfect creation on earth and that anyone trying to immigrate there is a criminal trying to take profit of the efforts of his ancestors that worked so hard to build such an extraordinary country... The guy will blackmail her trying to force her into having sex with him and the whole thing will break her marriage and leave her (and her son, that has just moved from Romania pursuing the "American Dream") in a rather difficoult situation.

A good story about the Human will to get a better life for us and for ours, and about the Human blind stupidity that will see in "the other" an enemy just because he is "the other". Don't get me wrong, I'm no longer a "no borders, everyone is welcome" leftist asshole. I don't think everyone deserves a place in our society, but I still fiercely think that anyone sharing with us a set of common values and showing a willingness to integrate and contribute to the well working of this society must be allowed to find a place here, wherever he comes from.

No comments:

Post a Comment