Sunday 22 March 2020

The Man with the Iron Heart

Last week I watched this excellent historic film about one of the most notorious monsters of the last century, Reinhard Heydrich, and the heroes that sacrificed their lives to eliminate him.

In these times of fear, uncertainty, horror (the images of the queue of military trucks carrying coffins in Bergamo has shocked me) it's good to remember the last time when Europe was drowning in horror, and how in the end it managed to overcome it. It's been a long time since me reading anything about the WWII, and I had started to forget some things, so this film serves also as a fast reminder of several essential moments and actors: The Night of the Long Knives, the Einsatzgruppen, the Wannsee Conference...

In my first visit to Prague and its amazing castle (in 2005) I did not know that one of the most brutal Nazi leaders had set office there. In my second time in 2010 I was already aware of it, and walking along the beautiful courts of that castle gave me some of an odd feeling. This visit coincided with the volcanic eruption that closed the European airspace for several days, so Prague was unusually empty, and this increased the bizarre feeling. 10 years ago some volcanic ashes made us feel as if our world was collapsing because we could not fly for a few days, now a fucking virus prevents us from leaving home and brutally reminds us of how absolutely fragile and uncertain everything is.

No comments:

Post a Comment