Saturday 19 November 2022

FIC Xixón 2021

Sort of a "deja vu". One year ago, when I was going to start to write a post for that year's edition (2021) of FIC Xixon (FICX edition number 59) I realised that I had not published anything about the previous, non-covid, edition (I'd had it partially written for almost 2 years but had forgotten to complete it), so I finished it and published it. Now, while starting my post for 60th edition (that ends today) I've just realised that in the end I had not written anything about the 59th edition... so I'm posting now a mini-summary of what I watched last year.

FIC Xixon 59 took place in one week of 2021 in a beautifully, massivelly rainy November. I only attended 3 films (that seems like a constant since I returned to Xixón in 2018). As I only intended to attend to screenings in Teatro Jovellanos I did not dig much into the program, I just checked what was on display there and came up with these 3 films that did fit my schedule:

  • Maitxable. A very powerful Spanish film. Based on a true story. Maixable, the widow of a Politician (Juan María Jáuregui) murdered by ETA accepts to meet one of the assasins, that while serving his prison sentence has come to regret his actions and moved away from the band.
    If you are interested in the bloody "Basque Conflict" that caused so much pain and suffering, you must watch the Spanish series Patria, that with its gloomy atmosphere perfectly reflects the tensions, contraditions, fanatism and fear that reigned in EuskaHerria for decades.
  • Integralde. Excellent Romanian film. Perfectly mixing hilarious moments with tension and sadness, all of it wrapped in the beauty of Romanian mountains and forests.
  • Bebia, a mon seul desir. A strange story set in a strange place (Georgia feels still rather "exotic" and mysterious to me), filmed in black and white with a rather arty feeling. I did not particularly like it, but do not consider it as a lost of time either.

No comments:

Post a Comment