Saturday 22 May 2010

Daybreakers

I rather like modern vampire films, especially those were vampires are depicted as some sort of an aristocratic elite above the poor simple humans, that continue with their lives of weakness and fragility. I'm talking about the Vampires in films like Underworld, Blade or Rise.

Since I learned that there was a new Vampires film I was keen to watch it, and cinetube made my night yesterday :-)
Daybreakers is a rather good film, I watched it non stop (something not too usual in me that tend to interrupt my home film sessions several times with some web search, mail checking... I could say that it's cause I've got so many interets... but actually it's more that I'm a bit disperse sometimes :-)
To the point, the film is a bit different from what I expected (I was thinking of something revolving around the common elements in the aforementioned films). Vampires are not an elite, but rather the majority of the population, while humans have been reduced to an almost extint sort of cattle. Same as farms of humans provided energy in Matrix, they provide blood here (there's an scene purely reminiscent from Matrix).

Spoiler Warning Begins
As the lower level in the food chain dies out, the upper level begins its decline... so vampires are crazy to find a solution: artificial blood.
In the end another solution is found, reverting vampires back into humans, but would you be willing to renounce to your immortality as an eternally young vampire to turn back into a perishable being whose life is a countdown to the end?
It's a classical moral dilemma, that reminds me in some way the moral conflicts in recent SciFic films like Aeon Flux or The Island (I really enjoyed both films at the time).
Spoiler Warning Ends
One element of this film that can be striking is how bloody some moments are. Vampires act as bloody beasts, reminding me of the horrific vampires in 30 Days of Night, an excellent underrated film that amazed me for how it represented vampires as horrible, revolting monsters, so far from the fashionable "beautiful monster" style in other films.

I won't close this review without praising the impressive opening scene, very beautiful both in visual and meaning terms.

No comments:

Post a Comment