Monday 10 October 2011

Run Lola run

This German film from 1998 has come as a beautiful surprise to me.
As I'm preparing my next visit to Berlin (I love the Prussian Metropolis, one of those places where regardless of how many times you've been there you ever have one million things to do), I've decided to watch some films set in Berlin, just to whet my appetite even more. Somehow I stumpled upon this film, and the fact of having Franka Potente playing the main role (I absolutely love her performance in Bourne), obviously increased my interest.

What we get here is a vibrating story, where a woman has 20 minutes to obtain a huge amount of money to save his boyfriend's life. She desperately runs through Berlin trying to obtain the money and take it to her boyfriend. The idea sounds good, but what is better is that what I've just told is used as the baseline to develop 3 different stories, where the characters take different decisions and the outcome is devastatingly different. The frantic soundtrack (pretty good electronic sounds) is another plus for this film, and reminds me of the soundtrack of another good film set (partially) in Berlin, Hanna

The film works also as sort of a Berlin tour, which is always good, but don't try to follow on a map the route traced by Franka in her anguished run, cause it makes no sense. She starts in Mitte, and suddenly she's in Kreuzberg crossing the Oberbaumbrücke to Mitte again... so Berlin's geography has been fairly altered.

Well, I think there's not much more I can add, just watch it and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment