Saturday 5 April 2014

No Need to Switch Browsers

Hopefully, Brendan Eich has resigned from his recently gained position as Mozilla CEO. I'd been quite unaware of all the controversial around his designation as Mozilla's CEO, but as a JavaScript fanatic and loyal Mozilla user (Firefox, MDN, Rhino...) I was already sadly aware of the homophobic shadows around this individual. Yes, I'm directly using the term homophobic, because I think that a person who decides to donate 1000 dollars to a campaign against the rights of gays and lesbians has to be a fucking homophobe. Living in world where millions of people die of hunger or illnesses that simple medicines could cure, someone who considers that the money of his donation is better used to deprive gays of a basic right than to save the starving has to be quite a fanatic....Such a donation is a direct action against other people rights, not just a trivial personal decision. I could accept (well, not really, but to a certain extent) that others do not like gays and and decide not to relate to them (I don't like white t-shirts, so I don't wear them). It's a stupid mindset, but they're not hurting others (indeed, if they're so close minded to disdain homosexuals, most likely these people have little to contribute to others), but when someone attacks others rights, that's a different thing.

Voices defending this individual ranged from separating his professional role from his private life and opinions, to the typical "he's free to think whatever he wants". I drastically disagree with both arguments.

As for the first one, we, as individuals conform a whole, an entity, and everything we do is interconnected. My moral views cause me that even when I consider him an amazing programmer (he created JavaScript!!!!), I I wouldn't pay him a coffee, cause honestly, I don't like people that think like him. With this in mind, I expect that based on his moral views, he wouldn't pat a salary to a gay employee.

Regarding the second argument, the "respect" argument, I deeply hate and despise such position. Many times tolerance is used to defend intolerance: "he has the right to think so", well, I prefer to use intolerance to defend tolerance (e.g. I would torture and execute Neo-Nazis and fundamentalist muslims to prevent them from spreading their stinking "values")

So well, now that Mozilla is "clean" again, I 'll continue to use their services

PostData: If you¡ve reached this page using Google Chrome browser, please close it and use Firefox :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment