Saturday 5 November 2016

Some Films 2016

I'll do a short review here of some good films that I've watched lately (or not so lately).

  • Mesrine is a 2 part French film telling the story of probably the most famous French gangster, Jacques Mesrine, played by Vincent Cassel. It's a real must work, and though he killed innocents there are moments of the film where one can not help to feel a certain simpathy for this criminal.

  • Les Lyonnais. Another French gangsters film, partially based on a gang active in the 70's. If you are interested in French films with French subtitles you can get it from this nice web site (don't be put off by its old look, the site is still active and the links work).

  • Eye in the Sky. This is a pretty interesting modern war film revolving around the moral dilemma of collateral damage. For me part of the interest of this film lies on the high tech surveillance material (micro drones) displayed. One wonders how many years far we are from the most advanced material shown here (assuming that it does not already exist in some Israli laboratory). The second half of the film turns a bit too slow for me, but anyway is well worth a view.

  • 100 Anhos de Perdon. Loyal to traditions (I've done so the 2 previous years) I felt I had to go to watch at least one film to the CineEspanha film festival. Choice was easy, an Argentinian-Spanish bank robery story directed by Daniel Calparsoro and screened on Saturday night, looked like a secure bet, and indeed it was. The film is not too impressive, but it's interesting enough to keep you entertained for its complete duration. I particularly like constant references to the effects of the economical crisis and political corruption in Spain. Some of the urban views of the city of Valencia are also particularly noteworthy.

  • Colonia. I have a certain weakness for films by Daniel Bruhl. Not that all his films are particularly good, but from all those that I have watched I can not think of any that is not worth the time. Colonia was quite a surprise to me, as I had not read the reviews nor anything I was expecting it would be focusing mainly in the days surrounding Pinochet's Coup d'Etat, but only the first part of the film revolves around it. Then it tells a fictional story of survival through love, set in a real and sickening product of the bloody dictatorship, Colonia Dignidad.

No comments:

Post a Comment