Sunday 21 June 2020

Arsen (aka OEGP's lost recording)

If you've read this post you know how much I love that amazing Canadian (Quebecoise) ultra-dark screamo band, One Eyed God Prophecy. Many bands have been inspired by them (and by Uranus, that have managed to achieve much more of a cult status), but honestly I'd never found any band that sounded 100% like them, that had a song that I could place in the middle of the OEGP Lp and think that had been produced by them.

I've finally found that band! Arsen (aka Konig the Monster). This German band released stuff in the 2002-2003 period, right when I was starting to move from Screamo to other sorts of sounds, so they went unnoticed for me. I've recently found about them and they are absolutely amazing. Almost all their songs are a brutal display of darkness, rage, violence and sadness, there's one Erde Meldet Sich Zuruck that particularly stands out and obsesses me. It's as if these guys had found a lost OEGP recording and re-recorded it!

Reading the interview linked above you'll see that there's a bunch of bands associated to the smart guys (and lady) that made up this act (and in turn, some of those bands are associated via other members to highly praised bands like Tristan Tzara, Louise Cyphre...) I already knew one of these excellent bands, Saligia that even if I did not get fully hooked into them, really surprised me with their very Uranus like sound. The other band, Republic of Dreams has been a beautiful discovery. They've been around for many years, playing dark, violent, German ("German" here involves that characteristic metallic touch) Scremo. Their last split with another amazing new band , Alles Brennt is particularly worthy of a deep listen.
Enjoy the darkness!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment