Wednesday 18 April 2012

Street Art in Milan

I spent the weekend in Milan this Eastern, and I was pleasantly surprised. I used to think that Milan was just the Duomo (really impressive indeed) and the Galleria Vittorio Emmanuelle, but there's much more to it. Sforza Castle, Sant'Ambrogio, the beautiful Brera neighbourhood...

There's a good bunch of skyscrappers: the popular Pirelli tower, the lovely Torre Velasca(my uncle, as many other people I guess, hates it, but I find it really interesting, though based on the Lombard tradition, it reminds me of some works by USSR constructivists, like this one or even the Slovak Radio building) and many more (CityLife project) on their way (who said crisis?, judging by all those new glass and steel structures one would think the Italian economy is boosting...)

On one side the buildings and the trams give the city an Austrian touch, on the other side the wide avenue lined by office buildings that goes from the Central Train Station to downtown and the many slim high rise buildings (15 to 20 stories, no glass and steel ones) reminded me of Brussels. Even (though it actualy bears little resemblance) the Park behind Castello Sforza with that nice Arc at the end brought me back memories of the Parc du Cinquantenaire also in Brussels.

I would say that Milan is not by far a Street Art hot spot (at least the city centre is rather lacking in it), but I found a few rather interesting pieces that I'd like to share:

  • Not too aesthetically appealing to me, but it pays tribute to an Antifascist murdered by NeoNazi scum 9 years ago, so it deserves my small homage by adding it here:
  • A typical sentence, but this time with a very original visual representation:
  • Art Nouveau females:
  • And well, being Italy (or Southern Europe for that matter)... the Christian reference could not be missing:

No comments:

Post a Comment