Saturday 7 November 2020

Bruxellisation

I've already explained in previous posts that I like skyscrappers (if they follow some basic aesthetic rules), but I'm not a fan of large clusters of them, and pretty much prefer seeing them scattered over the urban landscape in very specific points, as signals and reference points. This said, I've found this short video interesting, though I quite don't agree with the idea that seems to be conveyed in it (probably this video has been made by a USA guy), that the more skyscrappers in a city the more developed and appealling the city is.

One interesting concept mentioned in the video and that was unknown to me by that name is the one of Bruxellisation/Brusselisation

The indiscriminate and careless introduction of modern high-rise buildings into gentrified neighbourhoods" and has become a byword for "haphazard urban development and redevelopment".

I guess my main hometown, Xixón, could be seen as a good example of Bruxellisation :-) Not that we have many historical buildings, but in the 60's and 70's many buildings of 8 to 12 stories sprung up like mushrooms wall to wall with buildings of the early century... Over time, I have learnt to enjoy these contrasts, and find some charm in it. Additionally, I have to say that many of the 15 stories towers that were built in some parts of my town look pretty nice to me now (in particular when compared to the predominatly ugly, cheap towers built in Southern France cities). So while I understand that most people distaste "Bruxellisation", in my case it's not a particularly denigrant term. Indeed, I like Brussels a real lot, and not just because of the gorgeous Grand Place and some other nice central areas, but preciselly due to these contrasts between nice, old Flemish buildings and the 60/70's grey, high-rise buildings.

From the same article I learn also another term, Facadism defining an important and controversial practice in architecture:

The architectural and construction practice where the facade of a building is designed or constructed separately from the rest of a building, or when only the facade of a building is preserved with new buildings erected behind or around it

The part that I've highlighted is the one that mainly concerns me from this practice, and that for the most part I find like a good option in many circunstances. I guess it's normal that I like it, as it can bring about contrasts similar to the ones I've just said that can look pretty charming to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment