Sunday 18 April 2021

Red Dot

I've recently watched an amazing Swedish thriller, Red Dot. I had no particular expectations about it. I just found it somewhere, read that it was set in the Northern Sweden wilderness and hence imediatelly downloaded it, and contrary to my normal patterns, I watched it almost on the spot. I did not even check if it was a USA film recorded in Sweden or a Swedish film (which for sure would have raised my expectations).

Of course just the snow covered wild landscapes would already make the film worth a watch, but there's much, much more to it. The story is pretty thrilling. In my case I managed to empathize a lot with the main characters. An heterosexual young couple (I think I'm one of the less homophobic persons in this world, but I'm starting to get fed up of the current need to over-represent homosexuality everywhere), made up of a white Swedish man and a black (mixed-race I guess) woman. I liked this couple a lot, not just for the mixed race thing, maybe for their relation crisis, their hopes (they are at that age when you still have to take some decisions that will completely change the rest of your life for the best or the worse), the devotion that the guy felt for the girl (something that seems so alien to me...).

Well, whatever the reasons, the thing is that I really liked this couple, so when they start to get into real shit, with a sort of maniac redneck trying to hunt them down, the whole thing feels really painful. I won't discuss how unrealistic their capacity to survive in the freezing weather, bleeding, having drop into a frozen lake... is, in the end this is fiction... The action is fast paced, intense, and additionally, the story has a pretty interesting final twist, so all in all it makes a really, really good experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment