Monday 26 July 2010

Hundertwasser

When I was to Vienna last year I paid a visit to the famous Hundertwasserhaus. Thought the building is absolutely amazing, I didn't investigate more about it or his creators. I didn't know that this was not an isolated, brilliant work of some freak architects, but one more chapter in the impressive career of an Austrian genius that was completely unknown to me, Friedensreich Hundertwasser.



I didn't become aware of this great master until last week, when reading information about Darmstadt I came across with this incredible spiral building and decided to google a bit more.

When in Vienna I also could enjoy just by chance of another of his works (I just happened to hop off at the right U-Bahn station), but back at home never thought again about it and did not even bother to investigate the connection between this building and the Hundertwasserhaus, connection that is more than obvious as all the creations of this man seem to have some very distinctive characteristics: rejection of straigh lines, organic forms, environmentalism, dream like general effect...
I'm rather on his side when confronting functional, rationalist architecture, that I also consider sterile and alienating... cold, predictible buildings for unclever, obedient people...



All in all, an incredible artist that has remained rather under the radar, especially when compared to similar (not that impressive to my like) artists like Gaudi.
From the pictures I would say one of his most impressive works was his last one, this building in Magdeburg (I love those grass roofs).

No comments:

Post a Comment